Earthquakes happen all over the country, even here in Nevada. The damages they cause to homes is typically not covered by your standard homeowners insurance policy. Did you know that almost the entire United States is prone to earthquakes? The West Coast of the U.S. is especially prone with the likelihood of nearly a 70% chance of a 6.7 earthquake or larger. The East, a 40-60% chance and the Midwest has a 40%+ chance! That’s why you need earthquake insurance in city.
Earthquake insurance is insurance for your property that pays you in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. The typical homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover earthquake loss.
Most earthquake insurance policies feature a high deductible, such as 15%+ of the value of the total insured value of the home, which makes this type of insurance useful if the entire home is destroyed, but not useful if the home is merely damaged. Rates for earthquake insurance vary greatly based off of earthquake maps. Rates can also vary greatly depending what your home is made out of. Wood homes withstand earthquakes better than homes made of brick.
To learn more about what earthquake insurance covers and what isn’t covered, please call our offices today at 702-251-4000 for a free, no obligation quote.